Saturday, April 22

Does Size Matter?

If you check out my quilting portfolio you will notice that most of my quilts are on the small side. I especially seem to concentrate on baby quilts. There are a few reasons for this:
  • I know lots of people having babies and they make lovely gifts.
  • The smaller the quilt is the less time it takes to complete it.
  • Baby quilts are fun and cheerful to design.
  • My machine doesn't have a enough space under the arm to accommodate a quilt much larger than a baby quilt.
I love my sewing machine. I have a Bernina Activa 125. I was going to say that it was the low-end computerized Bernina model (which is still really good), but I can't find it on their products page. It's great because it's a high quality machine, but it doesn't have many bells and whistles. I don't need fancy when all I do is sew straight, with an occasional zig-zag stitch. The only drawback to the machine is its lack of space under that arm.

Two days ago I got my current issue of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and discovered an article on extended arm sewing machines. It's my dream machine - no frills and lots of space under the arm. However, it doesn't appear that Bernina makes one and I do love my Bernina. Also, I'm not willing or able to spend $1500 on a machine right now. And I do love the baby quilts. Maybe in ten years when I decide I do want to take the plunge, Bernina will have developed one of their own. Here's hoping...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home