Saturday, June 24

Baby Pants - Practically Free!

Making PantsI found instructions for making baby pants from old t-shirts here on crafster. The original tutorial can be found here. The tutorial on crafster specifically tells how to make the pants from old t-shirts (which is fabulous, since you don't have to hem the bottom of the pants!). The original tutorial gives instructions for making pants out of just about anything, and I needed it for help with the elastic waist.

Pants Compelted!I know what you're thinking - I wasted two perfectly good shirts to make one, little pair of baby pants. But the beauty of it is that these shirts were already discarded. My husband and I went through all of our clothes this spring and made a huge pile of clothes we no longer wore. We bagged them up and I asked my husband to remove them from the house and donate them to charity. Well, he removed them from the house, but they only made it as far as the trunk of his car - where they remained for a month and a half! He claims that he brought them to a drop-off point, but the bin was so full that he couldn't leave the clothes there. I know - lame. Anyway, it ended up being a good thing because I was able to go back and find some shirts to resurrect into pants.

I copied the pattern for these pants from a pair that are a little fitted. I think the next pair will be made with more room in the legs. Simon likes the pants, but he says that he wants to be more stylish.

You can see a photo set of the whole process here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon sure looks proud of his pants :))(and his mom!)
If you like sewing from scraps, do visit my site, there's lots of other easy patterns (they're free) for baby clothes to make from old shirts (I admit most of them's for girls, but the shirts are for boys too)
I bet you get addicted to sewing from recycled clothes real fast!!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home