Wednesday, June 7

My Least Favorite Part of Making a Quilt

Quilt Labels

Wikipedia has the following to say about quilt labels:
During the late 1900's, the quilt community started to encourage quilters to label their quilts, starting with a name for the quilt, in addition to their own name, and completion date for the work. This was an important step in taking the craft of quilting into the art realm. A quilt's name implies there is some meaning to a quilt beyond its creation, to whatever degree. Though meaning maybe found in quilts without names as well.

I am a big proponent for quilt labels. Whenever somebody shows me a quilt they have made by some relative or other, I immediately look for the label and am almost always disappointed when I don't find one. However, I can't really blame the quilter for not putting it there, because I hate labeling my quilts.

I think it's because, in my mind, I am already done with the quilt and am ready to move on to some other project. Taking the time to make a label is just delaying all of the new quilts that are living happily in my brain from making their debut. So, most often, I don't label my quilts right away. I tell myself that I will label them later - when I get around to it. For a while I was just embroidering my initials and the year on the back of quilts, but I have recently rededicated myself to making actual labels. I'm going to try to make them interesting - not just a little white square. I started small, but hopefully as I make more labels they will evolve into more artistic expression. Or at least some kind of expression.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your so right about the label. I have a baby quilt ready to go in the mail but it needs the label. I like how yours turned out.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home